Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Brother HL5450DN High-Speed Laser Printer With Networking and Duplex

Bargain Brother HL5450DN High-Speed Laser Printer With Networking and Duplex


The HL-5450DN is a monochrome laser printer with a built-in Ethernet network interface. Ideal for offices or small workgroups, it features reliable, fast printing at up to 40ppm and automatic duplex (two-sided) printing. Plus, it provides flexible paper handling via its 300-sheet paper capacity, and uses a high-yield 8,000-page replacement toner cartridge* to help lower running costs.
  • Prints up to 40ppm
  • Built-in Ethernet network interface
  • Automatic duplex (two-sided) printing
  • 300-sheet standard paper capacity, expandable
  • High-yield replacement toner cartridge available*

This Laser Printers give to us some advantages, like this :
1. Sweetness!
I purchased a Brother HL-1470N back in 2002. It was an excellent monochrome network laser printer that worked well with my Mac computer. I used it extensively. I went thru 3 toner cartridges and 1 drum over the course of the past decade. A few issues came up that I needed assistance on, and Brother support was always helpful. That old printer recently indicated that the toner was empty, that the drum needed replaced again, then it stopped communicating on my network. I decided it was finally time to replace it. Having 3 iPhones and an iPad in our family, an AirPrint capable printer was a must. I checked Apple's AirPrint support document (Last Modified on July 31, 2012), and was sad that I didn't find any Brother laser printers listed. I have a networked color inkjet printer already...but I detest spending $$$ on ink so often. I simply needed another workhorse B&W printer that is dependable...one that would help to keep cost-per-page down. I began the laborious task of...

2. Fantastic printer for the price with AirPrint capabilities
I purchased this printer after years of frustration with the typical HP ink-jet woes, such as slow speed, infuriating network reliability, short half-life of ink cartridges, and poor printing reliability, especially with document feeding. After hours of research with the emphasis that my new printer needed to have the advantages of a laser printer (high-speed, high-yield, long-term reliability) paired with the ability to natively print with wireless clients, such as AirPrint on iOS devices, I happened upon this fairly recent release from Brother. All of the early reviews I have read have been very positive, and I can say that my experience over the past month has also been overwhelmingly positive.

Set-up was a breeze, followed the well-written instructions, and after plugging via ethernet into my network, I was immediately able to print from my iPhone, iPad, and Mac, as compared to previously using software to allow AirPrint via iOS on the HP inkjet which required the main...

Need more appointment... ?
Notes on cables and linux
Two things I wanted to share about the printer:

1) It doesn't come with a cable. So you'll probably want to also purchase a type a male to type b male usb cable.

2) It works fine on linux. You need to download the drivers. Amazon is eating my links, but they are available on the Brother website as debs and rpms.
More information by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment