Friday, July 26, 2013

Samsung Electronics CLP-415NW Wireless Color Printer

Bargain Samsung Electronics CLP-415NW Wireless Color Printer


Produce professional color prints, affordably and quickly.
  • That's the promise of the Samsung CLP-415NW.
  • Compact and quiet enough for your small business or home office, it features Samsung's latest image processing and polymerized toner formulation, giving you brilliant color and super-crisp text and graphics.
  • Fast print speeds mean you spend less time waiting, while a lower cost per page translates to overall ownership that's easy on your bottom line.
  • And with wireless printing functionality, the CLP-415NW is easily shared by just about everyone.

This Laser Printers give to us some advantages, like this :
1. Good print quality, wireless setup is a total pain
Let's talk about the good parts of the printer first. It's a relatively small footprint compared to other color laser printers I've used. I also find the speed to be very nice. It's quick to print out what I send to it. The picture quality is very good. From all this standpoint, this is a very solid printer. It works as you would expect or even better. But then, there's the wireless aspect.

I wanted to have this because I have a large number of wireless devices in the house, several tablets, a couple of laptops, and I want to be able to print without having to either plug into the wired part of my network or use some form of sneakernet to get the files from the wireless machine to a wired one. A wireless printer would be perfect. I jumped at the chance to get this set up in our system. The instructions for setting it up are very straight forward and I followed them to the letter (yes, I actually read the instructions). The printer wouldn't connect to our network. I had...

2. At the current price a great buy
Currently amazon offers this printer for 17% off the sticker price, and this makes it a great buy in my mind.

The 415NW is a colorless laser printer - most small laser printers I've seen that do color don't do them well, but this is an exception. It doesn't do 'photo quality' in my mind, but it will be sufficient for most every other need. The black and white looked very crisp and clean, and I had no complaints there.

If you're looking for a laser printer you either do high volume printing or are thinking economically (ink is expensive for a laser printer, but per page is cheaper than an inkjet printer), and with that in mind this printer is pretty good. It has a several eco options for reducing printing costs further (greyscale, using less ink, and the like), so you can definitely get your money's worth over time with the 415NW. When trying out using less toner, for example, I didn't notice a big reduction in quality, so you won't suffer for being...

Need more appointment... ?
Flaky networking, Windows required for firmware updates, poor support
I'm happy with the print quality, but frustrated with the network stability.

Once the initial set-up was complete I could print from my Mac and iOS devices (AirPrint and mobile print). The next morning none of my devices could locate the printer. A power cycle resolved it and I was able to print again. A few hours later the printer disappeared again. I can ping the IP, but no AirPrint.

Samsung suggests updating the Firmware, but the updater is only available for Windows.

Bottom line: This could be a great printer if Samsung can solve the network issues, until then I'd look elsewhere, especially if you're looking for Mac and/or AirPrint support.

Update:

AirPrint is still unreliable. I've found if I reset the printer I can print for a few hours before it disappears again.

I've attempted to contact support twice. The first time they said to enable SNMP (already was). The second time they told me to look for timeout...
More information by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment